India has a very rich culture with 29 different states and each state having a different language and a different history to it. This diversity is what makes India rich in its culture. And today we are going to be talking about one such state that is well known for its food and culture.
The state of Punjab is located on the north side of our country. The culture of Punjab encompasses the spoken language, written literature, cuisine, traditions and history of the Punjabi’s. The name of the state is of great significance because this is the state where 5 rivers meet and hence the name Punjab.
Most of the people from our country might not know much about the whole culture, but when it comes to Punjabi cuisine everyone is in love with it. Especially when it comes to chicken, everyone goes crazy over it.
So, in today’s article, I am going to list a few famous chicken recipes that we all relish and just can’t get enough of!
- Chicken butter masala– This recipe uses thick and creamy gravy with a mixture of various spices that gives a very mild, yet relishing taste. It uses chicken pieces that have already been cooked in the tandoor. The combination of the tandoor chicken in the gravy is mouth-watering and irresistible to all.
- Chicken rara- It is yet another Punjabi chicken dish that is very commonly eaten. If you were to go to an authentic Punjabi restaurant, one should definitely try it out. It again uses gravy with mild spices. It has slight flavour of yogurt which is used in its preparation. Chicken rara goes well with tandoori roti or butter naan.
- Chicken tikka– this recipe is made of boneless chicken pieces. The chunks of chicken are basically marinated and then roasted or as we say put into the tandoor. It is served with tangy mint chutney and onions on the side. It is a great starter. Having roti or any sort could be tough with this because it has no curry and is completely dry. But then it is up to one’s choice.
- Murghmalaiwala– for those who don’t know, malai means cream in Hindi. This curry has a faded white appearance due to the usage of a lot malai in it. It is a gravy based recipe which uses minimal or no oil or ghee because the chicken pieces are cooked in the gravy of milk and cream with a blend of spices and seasonings. One can have any sort of Indian bread with it.
- Tandoori chicken– this is yet another chicken recipe that is better off as a starter. The chicken is marinated in spices and then put in the tandoor to give your mouth that roasted flavour. It is one of the most famous chicken dishes that are a gift from Punjab. When the chicken is served, it is crispy on the outside and juicy in the inside and this is what makes it so desirable.