How to Renew RC if it has Expired

Renew RC

RC stands for Registration Certificate. It is a government-authorized registration certificate that is used to register every car plying on the road. To renew the RC if it has expired, one needs to apply for it no more than 60 days before the expiry date of the registration for its continuous use.


  • To apply for renewal of RC, one should apply in Form 25 to the Registering Authority under whose jurisdiction the vehicle falls. One should submit the renewal application not more than 60 days before the date of its expiry.
  • It should be made sure that all the taxes of the vehicle have been paid.
  • As mentioned in Rule 81 of the Central Motor Vehicle Rules of 1989, payment of the appropriate fee is also necessary. The fees should be paid within the allotted time.
  • The owner should check the vehicle registration online.


  • Applying for renewal in Form 25
  • Certificate of Pollution under control
  • R.C. Book
  • Fitness Certificate
  • Certificate of Registration
  • Documents proving full payment of up-to-date road tax
  • Insurance Certificate
  • Copy of PAN Card
  • Chassis and Engine Pencil Print
  • Signature Identification of the owner

Process (For Intra-State Vehicles)

The Motor Vehicle Act of 1988 states that any vehicle plying on public roads should have a valid government-authorized registration. It is also to be ensured that all the road taxes are paid in time. The registration certificate needs renewal after every 15 years from the date of the original issuance. Then, the owner can renew the certificate of registration every five years. 

The only requirement for the renewal of the registration certificate is that it should be considered fit by the RTO. Driving without a registration certificate or driving with an expired registration certificate is a criminal offence. After completing all the processes, one should check the RC renewal status online.

Process (For Inter-State Vehicles)

Other than a renewal of car registration certificate, after 15 years of owning the car, a person is required to register once again if he shifts from one Indian state to another for a calendar year. ‘Status of Vehicle hypothecation’ and ‘Road Tax’ are the two things that should be given more priority when a person shifts from one Indian state to another and applies for the transfer of the RC. If the new state has a lower road revenue, the owner will be entitled to a refund of some of the tax he has originally paid in the past. For vehicle registration check online at the Parivahan Sewa portal or visit the RTOs.

Author: Veronika

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *