With endless moisturizers for dry skin at the cosmetics counter, it’s tricky to pick the right one. To pick the best moisturizer for dry skin, you have to evaluate your problem, the causes behind it, and then search for a product that can target your dry skin. Follow this guide to know the reasons behind dry skin and how to pick the right moisturizer for this skin type.
Reasons Behind Dry Skin Problems
If you have dry skin, it may be due to:
- Frequent showers or over showering
- Weather with low humidity
- Age and genetics
- Chemical irritants and fragrances
How To Pick The Best Moisturizer For Dry Skin
Determine The Severity Of Problem
The complexity of dry skin is not the same for every individual. While some may have only flaky skin, others may experience cracks and severely red skin with rashes. Generally, the best moisturizer for dry skin is the one that’s heavy and oil-based. Such moisturizers offer the skin cells subtle hydration and heal cracks. Look for toxin-free moisturizers or creams with soothing ingredients like aloe gel, cocoa butter, and chamomile. If your skin is prone to rashes, settle for moisturizers designed for sensitive skin and are hypoallergenic. Avoid skin products with dyes and artificial fragrances.
If you reside in a sunny area, consider getting a moisturizer with suitable SPF. People with eczema or other similar problems have dry skin. Such people should opt for ointment or cream rather than a lotion. Their skin products should also have no dyes, fragrances, or preservatives. Further, if you are aged, get your hands on the best moisturizer for men or women that’s oil-based.
Select The Moisturizer Wisely
Read the labels of the products you come across while hunting for the best moisturizer for dry skin. Look for creams or lotions that are labeled ‘non-comedogenic’ and ‘hypoallergenic, ‘oil-based, and ‘fragrance-free’ if you have dry skin. Generally, the best moisturizer for men or women with dry skin has hyaluronic acid, glycerin, antioxidants, paraffin, mineral oil, and plant oils. These ingredients hydrate the skin and lock in the moisture so the skin stays hydrated for longer. Stay away from products with retinol as it can worsen your problem. Also, make sure the best moisturizer for dry skin you choose also works as sun protection.
The best moisturizer for men with dry skin you buy may not be actually the best. So, it’s wise to experiment with your choicest product before finally settling for it. Buy a small bottle of the product and use it for a few days. Apply it after washing your face, washes, and also after every shower. Pay close attention to knees, hands, face, feet, and legs. Use the best moisturizer for dry skin after daily workout. If it’s the cold-weather season, apply it multiple times a day. If the product helps you get rid of dry skin without causing any problem, it’s the right one for you!
Tips To Soothe And Relieve Dry Skin
Followthese tips to heal dry, cracked, flaky, or chapped skin:
- Avoid hot water shower in winters.
- Keep the shower time not more than 10 minutes.
- Always use a moisturizing and fragrance-free bath gel or soap.
- Use the best moisturizer for dry skin immediately after a shower or washing your hands/face.
- Don’t peel, rub, or touch dry skin patches or flakes.
- Apply the best moisturizer for men with dry skin on damp skin to lock in the moisture. Also, pat dry rather than rubbing wet skin.
- Use a face serum with essential oils before moisturizing your facial skin. Don’t forget to apply the sunscreen after moisturizer.
- Keep your body hydrated by drinking lots of hydration drinks and water.
- Use a humidifier in winters.
- Moisturize with the best moisturizer for men/women whenever your skin feels dry. Don’t forget to moisturize your face and body before going to bed.
- For cracked lips or heels, use petroleum jelly at least twice a day.
- Exfoliate dry skin with a gentle scrub and then wear your moisturizer. For facial skin, use sugar and coffee scrub. Apply the best moisturizer for men/women after exfoliation.
- Use homemade remedies to treat dry skin. Opt for ingredients such as coconut oil, olive oil, petroleum jelly, jojoba oil, and glycerin. For a DIY best moisturizer for men or women, do add aloe vera, shea butter, and vitamin E in your recipes.